An electronic dartboard is a favorite for homes, bars and pubs.
Most of the electronic dart boards have customizable options that enable score keepers to count a point or a game.
How does an electronic dart board work?
An electronic dart board usually consists of three main components: a thin wire, an outer fiber ring and the inner clock. The thin wire is attached to the back of the outer fiber ring and act as an antenna. Electronic darts are used in playing games with it because each dart has two metal-tipped ends. The inner clock is attached to the thin wire. It usually has three wires that can be connected to a battery or source of power. When you hit the dartboard with the electronic dart, it will act similar to a game of golf when your ball contacts an electric eye in putting green.
How does an electronic dart board count darts?
As you hit the board every time you throw your dart, it will contact different wires. Whenever these contacts are made, the clock sends pulses to the microprocessor or computer chip in order for it to determine where exactly it’s been thrown. These pulses are like signals. The score is counted depending on which wire the darts have contacted with and this information is transmitted to the computer or microprocessor.
How are scores averaged?
Electronic dartboards have buttons that allow you – the player – to keep score. The scoring button is usually placed on the front of the board along with other features like “Game”, “Player” and “Computer”. When you hit a score, you press the corresponding number on the scoring buttons. This action will automatically average your scores for you.
Electronic dart boards are available in different models and designs that suit any household or bar/pub settings. You can choose electronic dart board that has standard or soft tip darts depending on your preferences.
The dartboard has three major problems:
1. Dartboard fragility: the typical way of throwing a dart is by means of releasing it with force so as to achieve greater accuracy and more enjoyment. Unfortunately, during such dart throwing, the dartboard is very likely to be damaged as the darts penetrate it by means of their sharp tip and begin wobbling inside.
2. To throw a dart properly requires some skill as one has to keep the dart level as it leaves the och and then release it with force; one needs to start this process by means of some guiding tool, usually the finger on one hand. However, having a finger placed in close proximity to dart can result in injuries when the dart is thrown with force.
3. When darts are thrown with force, there is always the possibility that they might accidently strike people standing nearby; it would be much better to have no people in that immediate area.
The electronic dart board is just the remedy for these three problems. The darts used are very similar to those used on a conventional dartboard, except that they do not have sharp tips and thus cannot cause any damage. The fragments of all sides (of more than one inch width) are removed. The darts do not penetrate the dartboard but rest on its surface; thus it does not get damaged. Sometimes, the darts are manufactured in such way that they can be kept level by means of an adhesive strip.
The electronic dart board is battery-operated and here is how it works:
Some number of random dots are marked on the dartboard surface. For each number, their location is stored in a processor-controlled memory together with some other information. When the electronic device receives an order to generate a random sequence of numbers, it starts with any one of these numbers and then it selects two more corresponding numbers at random according to predefined rules. It displays all three of these numbers on the electronic display. During this process, it also monitors the exact location where each dart has landed. After all three darts have been thrown, the locations are stored again in its memory together with their landing times which are highly accurate as they were measured by means of clock time. The process is repeated for many cycles and the result becomes a highly accurate statistical database.
The electronic dart board has a display that shows the sequence of darts just thrown and then it calculates which of them was closest to the selected number. This process is repeated for all numbers very rapidly, i.e., several times per second, so that the calculation of “which” of all three darts is closer to the selected number is very accurate. “Which of them” is displayed on the electronic display, and that is what you have to aim at on the dartboard.
It is possible that all three darts are close to a number; two may be closer than the third one. In any such case, it would be a simple matter to throw a fourth dart so as to eliminate any ambiguity. This operation is also performed very rapidly, i.e., several times per second.
In the electronic system the calculation of which of all three numbers is closer to a selected number can be done by means of many different algorithms; some manufacturers use patented algorithms whereas others do not bother with that as they feel that the patenting of an algorithm would reduce its value.
Having described how the electronic dart board operates, one can proceed to describe which are its components:
1. There is a very robust casing that protects all components from external influences. It may be made out of any solid material such as wood or metal; plastic is less well suited for this purpose.
2. The electronic display is used both to display the numbers that are thrown by means of darts and also it can be used, on demand, to show various other types of data. This type of display may have any desired resolution but at least 128 x 32 pixels are needed for displaying three-digit numbers of which each digit measures 7.5 mm (0.3 inch) between each of its four borders; 128 x 32 pixels represent a display surface that is 10 cm x 3.2 cm (4 x 1.3 inches). The display measures about 9.5 centimeters wide by 2 to 4 deep depending on whether it shows one, two or three numbers at a time.
3. A processor-controlled memory is used for storing the location of all possible dart throws and also it has enough capacity to store information about a much larger number of throws than the total number of darts that are supplied with the device; data can be stored either in an internal memory or alternatively, and preferably, on a removable storage medium such as a memory card. In the latter case it would be possible to record data about many games, perhaps as many as several hundred.
4. The clock time is used for recording the exact times at which each dart has been thrown and/or when its location has been stored into memory after being located by means of a sensor.
5. The sensor used for recording location of each dart is preferably an infrared (IR) one that operates at a frequency of about 40 kHz because then no reflections would occur from nearby objects. It has to be robust enough so as not to get damaged by being hit very hard by a thrown object. It can have an accuracy of ±1 mm, it being understood that this accuracy would vary between boards manufactured by different companies due to differences in their designs.
6. The electronic dart board has the capability of being connected to a PC, laptop computer or other device using either an RS232 serial connection or alternatively via a USB port. It should be possible to download data from the memory so as to record all of the operations and results of a game and also it should be possible to print out cards showing the results.
7. The weight, length and stabilizing effect produced by an attached cord are important considerations in designing a dart board. These features are mainly determined by the balance point of the board which is defined as being located at 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the board. The presence of an attached cord at this point is clearly advantageous for it produces a weighting effect that works against the torque produced by any dart’s rotational motion during its flight toward the target. This counter-torque effect can be improved by having two or three cords located symmetrically with respect to the board’s center.
8. The delimitation of game boxes can be achieved either by means of printed lines or electronically so as to produce an electronic border.
9. The dart board has sound capability so as to emit distinct sounds depending on whether a thrown dart lands in one of the game boxes (i.e., scoring area) or otherwise.
What is the best electronic dartboard to buy?
There are various models of electronic dart boards available. Many people prefer the standard version where you can use your own darts. It is a good idea to buy an electronic dart board that has a decent variety of different games and other features. A larger display size gives one more time to decide which move should be made next; it also makes it easier to play in a room with a lot of ambient light.
While the main purpose of the dart board is to test your accuracy, many people prefer to have a few extras that can be used when playing darts. A decent electronic dartboard must have sound effects so as to provide feedback after throwing a dart. The number of games available should not be small, there should be at least several variants of the gammon/backgammon game. The dart board should have an LCD display so that you can know for sure which moves correspond to each game scenario. The electronic dartboard must also have lights indicating when other players are taking their turn to play.
Another thing worth considering is the number of players that can play at the same time. The smallest boards are suitable for one player, but there are models intended for 2-4 players. It is interesting to note that some of these electronic dartboards can be used by different age groups.
For reviews of – best electronic dartboard, click here
Electronic dart board tips
While playing darts, you are bound to make mistakes here and there. Many people find it difficult when this happens because they tend to lose concentration or get flustered after missing a shot or throwing the dart at the wrong place. Keep in mind that these things happen all the time. It is important not to put yourself under pressure while playing darts, especially if it is your first time.
The game of darts can be learned by anyone regardless of age and gender. It is really very easy to play the game as all you need are some darts and an electronic dart board with several games on offer. The only downside may be that there are no health benefits associated with playing darts; however we can always make do with the fun and entertainment it offers.
Having an electronic dart board in your house may be a good way to pass time, or you could organize family/friend parties where everyone can try their hand at playing darts. If you are not very good at it, there’s no need to worry; just keep practicing and soon enough you will start winning games.
Who makes the best electronic dartboard?
There are a few companies that can be credited with making top quality electronic dartboards. The leading brands in this category include Arachnid, Viper and Unicorn. Arachnid is a good choice for those looking to play electronic darts with the standard version of the dart board where you have to use your own darts.
Viper by GLD Products is a popular choice for people that would like to have an electronic dartboard with more than just the standard features. There are various games and other types of entertainment you can play on this type of dart board, and it can be connected either via RS-232 or wirelessly.
Unicorn is a good choice if you are looking to buy an electronic dartboard with several variants of the usual darts games such as 301 and 701. This board has a lot of features and options, and it can be connected via USB so as to record all of your scores and other results for future reference. This makes it easier to improve your game.
You can read reviews of the best electronic dartboard on
How much is an electronic dart board?
The prices are mainly determined by features, gaming options and overall quality. You can get a basic model for under $30, but this type of electronic dart board is not recommended for regular use. There are also models that cost well over $300, and they have a lot of features and options. You can even get a professional electronic dartboard with a price tag of more than $1000.
What’s the best cheap electronic dartboard?
The cheapest model available in this category is the Arachnid Cricket Pro 800. It costs less than $30, and it can be connected through an RS-232 cable that is included in the package. This dartboard has a very basic LCD display that shows your score after each turn.
What’s the best electronic dart board for kids?
There are some models of electronic dart boards that are designed for children. An example is the Nodor Supawires electronic dartboard, which costs under $30. This model has a large display with big numbers and letters making it easier to play even for people who have not reached their teens yet.
Can you use steel tip darts on electronic dart board?
Yes, you can use the steel tip darts that come with most dartboards on an electronic model. However, some models such as Arachnid Cricket Pro 800 and Viper by GLD Products are designed for soft tip darts only. These types of darts usually have a smaller diameter than standard steel tipped ones, and this makes it possible to score much more points in a shorter time.
What is the best electronic dartboard for adults?
The highest quality models available in this category are usually designed for regular players and not kids or casual users. One good example of an excellent model intended for adults is the Viper 777 Electronic Dart Board by GLD Products. It costs well over $100, but it has many features and options such as a tournament level tournament play.
What is the best electronic dart board for tournament play?
The Arachnid Cricket Pro 800 can be set to tournament mode, and this makes it possible to play in the same setting as you would when playing regular darts with steel tip darts. This type of electronic dart board is not recommended for kids because it is only compatible with steel tip darts
What are the features of an electronic dartboard?
There are various features that can come with electronic dart boards, but these are some of the standard ones available on most models: – LCD display, which may include a few small screens to indicate who’s turn it is and other information – Bluetooth connectivity for wirelessly playing games on the dartboard – Variable number of players that can compete against each other through the board or even online – Built-in speaker system that makes it possible to hear the sound effects without having to connect external speakers.
Do heavier darts work better on electronic boards?
The weight of the darts generally does not matter when using an electronic dart board. Instead, the design matters more because it has to be compatible with soft tip darts or steel tipped ones. Steel tipped darts are much heavier than their soft tip counterparts, and this means that a standard dart probably won’t fly straight when used on a number that is meant for soft tip darts.
What are the advantages of an electronic dart board?
– An electronic dartboard is easier to play compared to a regular one because it has many features that reduce errors and make your life much easier – The price of most electronic models is at least $100 cheaper than what you would pay for a professional model intended for adults – It has many safety features that make it much easier to use than a regular dart board. These include soft tip darts, which are safer for children and even pets.
How to build a electronic dart board cabinet?
An electronic dart board cabinet is easy to make, and you only need some basic tools. An option that works very well is building a wooden box that will serve as the cabinet, then cutting out the holes for the dartboard and placing it on one of the shorter walls. Once the cabinet is built it has to be painted or varnished according to your preference. The next step is placing a piece of plywood on the floor as you would with any other dart board cabinet, and this ensures that no one will trip over an exposed wire. Finally attach a hanging strip to let you hang the dartboard from a hook.
How to clean electronic dart board?
Cleaning a dart board might seem difficult, but it is actually very easy. You can use a damp cloth with soap or household cleaners to wipe off the dust and any debris that may have gathered on the surface of the dartboard. Make sure you dry it completely before assembling all the parts back together because moisture will make the colors bleed. Never use chemicals to clean a dartboard because this will damage the surface and make it look rough and uneven.
How to get an electronic dart board to accept darts?
It is very easy to get darts to work with an electronic board if you follow these steps: – Place each dart into the board carefully without causing any damage, and make sure that your aim is as straight as possible. This way, the darts will enter the board more easily and it will be able to recognize them easily – If a dart does not enter the board, try placing it closer to the opening. If this does not work, take it out and put it in again at a very low angle so that its tip is almost touching the opening of the dartboard – Once a dart has been recognized by your electronic board you can remove it from there and place a new one in its place. Keep doing this until you are ready to play.
What is the best material for electronic dart board?
A fiberboard with excellent sound effects will work just fine for an adult, but most kids prefer something made from plastic instead of wood or fiberboard. The Viper 9 B’Caster model has an ultra bright display, and this makes it very suitable for kids. It can also be used by adults but you might want to connect the speakers externally if the quality is not good enough when connected directly to the board.
How to fix error on narwhal electronic dart board?
If you encounter an error message while using your electronic dart board, it can usually be fixed by resetting the process. This is done by disconnecting the power supply for at least 10 minutes and then reconnecting it back to see if anything changes. If this does not work out for some reason, try looking into the manual that came with the board. This should help you find the cause of the problem, and it should also provide clear instructions on how to fix it.
Having a dart board at home is fun and can help you practice your aim whenever you want. One way of creating your own oche electronic dart board is by placing a regular dart board on the wall, then drilling two holes for the wires. The next step would be to place an electronic circuit behind each hole so you can close it off with a wire nut after attaching the necessary wiring. Finally attach some hooks to the back of your dartboard so you can hang it securely onto your preferred spot in your home or office.
How to fix an electronic dart board?
First of all you need to remove the old batteries and dispose of them properly. You don’t want it to get any dirt or water near its internal parts so be careful when doing this.
After that, rub some alcohol on a clean white cloth and wipe thoroughly the parts with exposed metal surfaces such as metal screws’ threads, contacts etc. This will remove any oxidation that might have occurred.
Now you are all set to do the actual replacement of electronic components. First, place new batteries. Then carefully hook up the new electronic board on the same contacts where the old one was attached before. After that, put back screws and close the casing if necessary. You can now play your favorite games!
If you are not sure how to do this, you might want to consult an expert. Many electronic dart boards are made of sub-assemblies which makes them easier to be serviced or replaced by trained personnel. If the problem is with a single component it may be possible to repair it. Otherwise, replace the whole board and all will be well.
More articles that may interest you: